Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Local burger joint best in memphis

Beer aroma and rocking music pour into the streets as eager consumers enter with hungry appetites through wooden double-doors. For more than 35 years, Huey’s has been serving people loud music, cold drinks, and signature meals. Here, dine-in visitors are encouraged to create the distinctive writing on the walls with markers and the toothpick-pierced-ceiling with toothpicks shot through straws.

Huey’s started in 1970 in Memphis’ midtown by a man named Thomas Boggs. Since then, seven locations have stretched throughout Memphis and its suburbs. As midtown being the most popular one, people from near and far flock to the locally owned restaurant to enjoy burgers, ice-cold beers, and blues.

“Huey’s is the best place to get a burger. They have a great selection of drinks to wash it down with,” said Tommy Carpenter, 23, a business major at Southwest Tennessee Community College. “It’s a place to get away to and have a good time with family and friends.”

Other than being known for their award winning burgers and fries, Huey’s is legendary for signing up bands to play on weekends which allow guests to enjoy food and drinks in front of live entertainment.

Whether celebrating holidays, sporting events, or a regular day out of the week, Huey’s brings the same fun and care-free atmosphere it always has with a bit of history. Other than the writing on the walls, it’s decorated with memorabilia of Memphis schools and icons. Some think of it as stepping into a brief story of Memphis’ history.

“My high school colors and letters are right there,” said Patrick Spicer, 23, a business major at Southwest Tennessee Community College, as he points to a wall bearing Bartlett High School letters in red and blue. “I always enjoy coming here because I feel a part of the Huey’s family. I’m not the only one either with their high school letters on the wall. Others must feel the same.”

With almost every Memphian knowing what Huey’s is and about, some disagree as it being the hot spot for family and friends to have a good experience.

For those unfortunate few, it doesn’t seem to be the food that bothers them. It is the music Huey’s is known for blaring. It becomes loud at times where conversations are muffled at neighboring tables, to extremely loud where nothing but guitar solos can be heard.

“The music is too loud in here. I can barely hear what the waiter is asking me and what my wife wants from me,” said Rob Williams, 23, a sports management major at The University of Memphis. “I try to stay away, but my wife enjoys the burgers.”

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the food and the music. When I went with my girls, the food was fantasic. But the music was so loud we could not hear ourselves think. Needless to say, my 3 year old did not want to stay too long. I went to the Huey's on Winchester about a month ago, and it was much less noisy but had the same good food.

    ReplyDelete